The school Health Centre is a well equipped, self contained, eleven bedded unit. It is staffed by experienced, qualified nurses who provide twenty-four hour cover, seven days a week during term time.


All parents or guardians are expected to complete a medical questionnaire about their child before the child starts as a student. It is vital for the child's health and welfare that we know all past and present medical history including allergies, hospital referrals, hospital admissions, hospital treatment, behavioural problems, child guidance referrals, bet wetting etc.

It is also important that you provide us with a complete list of vaccinations that your child has received, and that you have signed the relevant consent forms.


In accordance with the school doctor's/nurse's professional obligations, medical information about students, regardless of age, will remain confidential. However, in providing medical/nursing care it is recognised that the doctor/nurse may liaise with parents or guardians, the headteacher or other academic staff and that information, ideally with the students' consent will be passed on as appropriate.

With all matters, the doctor/nurse will respect a student's confidence except on the very rare occasions when, to give consent or divulgence, the doctor/nurse considers it in the student's best interests, or necessary for the protection of the wider school community, to breach confidence and pass information on to a relevant person or body. 'Medical Officers for Schools association 1998'.


As per the Health Protection Agency guidelines, if a child is unwell with diarrhoea and/or vomiting, they should not return to school for 48 hours following the last episode of diarrhoea or vomiting. The Health Centre should be informed if a child has been off school due to this or any contagious illnesses.


The Health Centre keeps a supply of a range of 'over the counter' medications and supervises the administration of prescription medication. Boarding houses keep a supply of paracetamol and throat sweets should a boarder need medication when the Health Centre is closed.

If your child needs to take any prescribed medication whilst in school, it must be brought to the Health Centre. We can only accept medication that has been prescribed for the child, and in its original container along with an accompanying letter from the parent/guardian. If the prescription is not in English, a translation must be provided by the prescribing doctor.


We do not stock/routinely give out any homeopathic medication. The Health Centre will supervise the administration of homeopathic medicine if it is accompanied by a prescription from a registered homeopathic practitioner.


All boarders are registered with the School Medical officer iof Holmhurst Medical Centre, Redhill. If a child needs to be seen by a doctor when at home they can visit your family doctor as a temporary resident quoting the school address as their permanent address. The School doctor visits the school once a week and students can also have appointments made at Holmhurst Medical Centre, where there is choice of male or female GPs.

Travel Immunisations
The Health Centre requests at least six weeks' notice if a student requires travel immunisations. As the School's regular GP does not provide travel services, additional vaccinations are done at a local travel clinic, for which there will be a charge.

Dental treatment / Optician
Parents are asked to arrange routine dental checks, treatment and orthodontic work during school holidays. The same applies to optician appointments.

Please note that we can only provide escorts to local health services. You will be charged for any transportation and escort services. If your child has to attend an appointment further afield, parents must collect and take the child or arrange for a guardian to do so.